Our 2020 closed with the release of two wines united by a special bond: a production philosophy able to unite the strong international spirit of two great wines - Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot – to the specific characteristics of wines produced in the majestic Valle del Santerno.
Potente and Sintria are not, however, the only wines in the Tenute d’Italia catalogue characterised by this special kind of union, one that renders them almost inseparable. The Conte Zardi brand, the line inspired by the most ancient Romagnola winemaking tradition, in fact encompasses another shining example of our winemaker’s ability to conceive projects which are able to develop successfully intriguing inspirations.
Il Sapiente and Caveja are two truly spectacular examples in which the principal protagonist is the Sangiovese. A variety of grape which is undoubtably among the most illustrious in the Italian winemaking tradition. Within the Conte Zardi line this vine is offered the opportunity of a profoundly traditional interpretation, capable of evoking Romagna as an authentic spiritual dimension.
In both the wines – ascribed to the Sangiovese Rubicone I.G.P. denomination – the Sangiovese makes up 85% … but it is in the remaining 15% that the real magic of the Il Sapiente and Caveja comes to maturity.
The production philosophy followed by the Tenute d’Italia oenologists for the creation of these products has been inspired by the desire to crown the Re Sangiovese (King Sangiovese) with the exuberant character of two other vines, both historically tied to the Romagna territories.
Il Sapiente completes its blend with the Syrah, the celebrated international vine that can boast a long tradition of production in Romagna, whilst for Caveja the Sangiovese harmonises perfectly with a native variety, the Malbo Gentile.
The refinement process of the two wines also follows a similar protocol: following a first stage of vinification carried out completely in steel tanks, Il Sapiente and Caveja are subjected to ageing in large barrels (tonneaux) capable of giving that perfect roundness that distinguishes them.
Although conceived under the same banner of the said productive philosophy, just like Potente and Sintria, Il Sapiente and Caveja, at the tasting stage are also able to, despite their congruity, regale us with unique emotions.
In fact, the tasting reveals the profound charm of researching the different nuances that Sangiovese is able to assume when placed alongside each of the two varieties, giving the taster an experience with a strong educational... and emotional value.
Keep following our blog for articles dedicated to the tasting of
Il Sapiente and Caveja!